February 11, 2006

Political cliffhanging

I'm an ordinary kinda gal. I want to live in a country that is honest, tolerant and free. I want to be respected for that honesty, tolerance and freedom. I find myself increasingly disgusted with the direction in which my country is going. (I didn't think it possible to be more disgusted, but there it is.)
I am no fan of Saddam Hussein, but I still --even now-- fail to see justification for invading his country at the cost of thousands of lives to remove him from power. It was not our right, nor our duty to do so. And we are reaping a whirlwind.
I do not think that the government, in any form has a right to dictate to private individuals what they may or may not do to or with their bodies. They cannot tell us what we should and should not say, believe or write. Nor does the government have any place deciding who is worthy of protection under the law and who is not. We all have that protection. It says so in our Constitution, which as far as I'm concerned, is a holy document.
The honesty, freedoms and tolerance I hold so dear seem to be eroding to the point where, like Coyote chasing Roadrunner, we are going to look down one day and see nothing beneath us. At which point we will plunge ignominiously to our destruction.
If only the Acme company weren't so unrealiable, then I could look forward to this year's elections with something less that trepidation.

1 comment:

Grammarian@mindspring.com said...

Sad, isn't it?

Have you ever read Art Spielgelman's Maus? It's a graphic novel about Spiegelman's father's experiences in the holocaust. In it, Jews are pictured as mice and Nazis as cats. American soldiers are shown as dogs, cute ones, not vicious, and there are nice stories about how American soldiers in Europe, after liberating Spiegelman's father, gave him a place to live, a job helping around their barracks, and a little human dignity that helped bring him back from his horror.

Can you imagine people writing stories like that about American soldiers 50 years from now?