November 3, 2006

Not in that way

Remember the first time you really liked a guy (or girl, if that's your inclination) and he didn't like you back?
I remember back in 8th grade tracing the seemingly infinite variations of my crush's name intertwined with mine. He barely knew I existed. When I finally got up the nerve to have a friend ask his friend what he thought of me --the archtypical, "Mary likes Bobby, Jeff, will you find out if he likes her back?"-- it was only to be told that he didn't like me in that way. As if the possibility of even holding my hand were so horrifying that he shuddered at the thought. I've also had the standard "I like you as a friend" line pushed at me.
But, as difficult as it was to take, it was even harder to dole out. For me at least. Having to tell a wonderful guy that you love hanging out with him, but he just doesn't "do it" for you is a undeservedly cruel task.
That doesn't make unrequited love any better from either end. We all need to requite more love.

1 comment:

Grammarian@mindspring.com said...

I like you as a blogger, if that's any consolation.