December 5, 2008

Friday Book Blogging

Slim pickin's this week: I managed only 6 books and most of those were relative dreck. I'm choosing as my favorite, Agatha Christie's A Murder is Announced. I thought I'd read all 8 trillion of her stories, but I hadn't seen this one before, so I grabbed it at the library. It is classic Miss Marple, for whom I always feel a little pity. (Isn't that what we're supposed to feel for elderly spinsters?) Naturally, though, she comes through with the right neighborly comparisons and discovers the killer before she can kill more than three people.
Agatha Christie, a cup of cocoa, a warm afghan (the blanket, not the nationality) is the perfect antidote to the snizzle of a nasty December night. Especially if you're a spinster.

3 comments:

Grammarian@mindspring.com said...

When I was in high school I went through an Agatha christie phase. I read a whole bunch of her books. Then I read one and actually figured out what was going on before she told me. And after that, I stopped reading them for a long time. It just wasn't the same.

Later I read a bunch of her short stories.

Recently I got a copy of her non-fiction travelogue, Come, Tell Me How You Live, written as Agatha Christie Mallowan, but I haven't read it yet. Maybe I'll start it now.

Grammarian@mindspring.com said...

And have you ever read any of those Alfred Hitchcock short story anthologies? There are dozens of them. I can't put them down. Most of the Henry Slesar stories I have are in them, and Henry Slesar is one of my favorite short story writers.

Anonymous said...

Bravo! Agatha's work represents some of the finest literature I have ever read. I should point out that your qualification of "afghan" is very Poirot-like, and she would have appreciated the hell out of it.

Double Bravo!