April 9, 2013

Tenacity and procrastination

This past weekend I finally returned from my travels and had beautiful weather here at the Punkinhouse in which I ought to have accomplished something in the way of spring cleaning.
Last year's leaves and dried stalks are still populating my garden beds. It would look much prettier with a nice new layer of mulch.
Also on the list is the annual mucking out of the pond. Every year I swear I will get proper netting to keep the oak leaves out (because, if you've ever smelled -or touched- 6 months-wet oak leaves, you know how disgusting that can be). But every year all the oak leaves fill the tiny pond and each spring I nearly gag scooping them out.
All summer long we get lovely compliments from the neighbors who walk by the garden. But every spring there's a ton of work to get to the point of compliments.
And this weekend I just didn't do any of it.
Fortunately for me, mother nature is far more tenacious than my neglect. The primroses are in full bloom despite the covering of leaves, as are more than a few daffodils. Hyacinths have buds, tulips are forcing their way through. There is even a possibility that the fish survived in that murky pond.

No comments: