June 6, 2013

Trivia buff

My friend and fellow-blogger (who is one of the most supportive people I've ever met) is offering tickets to the upcoming movie "Copperhead" on her blog. I'm sure she wouldn't mind if you tossed your name into the hat, if you're interested. But that's not why I'm posting.
She has inadvertently tapped into one of my guilty pleasures: history trivia. I'm not a huge Civil War fanatic in that I don't visit battlefields (except Gettysburg on the 8th grade trip to Washington D.C.) or attend re-creations. I don't collect memorabilia or discuss it hours on end.
But I have read Shelby Foote's entire Civil War history. Twice. And watched the Ken Burns documentary at least three times. I've read other books on the war, but Foote's is amazingly well-written and thorough.
There are other periods of history, I find fascinating. And I read a lot of historical fiction, but for the sheer impact alone, the American Civil War holds a favored position with me. That said, I'm not sure I want to see the movie. And I'm really disappointed that the trivia quiz is the same 8 questions each time. It was hardly a challenge!

1 comment:

FreshGreenKim said...

Aw thank you! (the questions are really easy, because I even did well and I'm not a civil war trivia buff... I specialize in other sorts of trivia though!)