January 22, 2014

all over the place

I have found that the better the Internet gets at finding things, the more I have to rely on my writing skills for a blog post. Eight (omigod! EIGHT?!) years ago, I could link to some crazy cool pictures or artwork or a virtually unknown location or weirdness or even a bit of funny.
Now, thanks to Buzzfeed and Tumblr, and Pintrest and Twitter and Facebook, all of this is old news.
So I have to be creative and write about something witty and relevant.
Perhaps it's due to the cat launching himself at my feet in some desperate and misguided attempt to subdue a threat at 4:00 am, but I'm suffering a dearth of wit. The only thing that is on my radar right now is the 41st anniversary of Roe v. Wade and Ilyse Hogue's excellent point, “Isn’t it great that we live in a country where Lila Rose could decide that she would decide to carry her rapist’s pregnancy to term but her version of morality doesn’t dictate what I can choose to do. And that’s what religious liberty is about. It’s about you getting to choose what would be right for you in that circumstance, but I don’t get to tell you what to do and you don’t get to tell me what to do.” which is the cogent point in all the debate about the increasing restrictions on a woman's right to determine her own healthcare choices. Why do your beliefs (and no matter how strong your faith, they are just beliefs) give you the right to tell me what I can and can't do?

No comments: