- In the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand and Canada it's pancakes.
- On the Portuguese island of Madeira they eat malasadas.
- In Denmark and Norway the day is marked by eating fastelavnsboller.
- In Iceland today, meals are salted meat and peas.
- In Lithuania the people eat pancakes (blynai) and Lithuanian-style doughnuts called spurgos.
- In Sweden the day is celebrated by eating a type of pastry called semla.
- In Finland they eat green pea soup and a pastry called laskiaispulla (sweet bread filled with whipped cream and jam or almond paste).
- In Estonia they also eat pea soup and whipped-cream filled buns called vastlakukkel.
- In Poland and some areas of the United States with large Polish communities, this day is celebrated with pączki eating.
March 4, 2014
Eat, drink, and be merry
It's Shrove Tuesday. I hope you're hungry.