March 14, 2014

Friday Book Blogging

Friday Book Blogging is back! I read Doris Kearns Goodwin's The Bully Pulpit over the past two weeks. The book is an interesting look at Theodore Roosevelt's love-hate relationship with the media of his time, what we now refer to as muckrakers. At just under 750 pages of text with photos and over 150 pages of notes, it was a hefty read. And it did not flow as well as other Goodwin books have. (Her Team of Rivals is one of my favorites.)
Therefore, I am choosing Alan Bradley's Speaking From Among the Bones as my favorite for the week. I'm a little behind in my Flavia deLuce reading. Bradley has a newer one out now, but I hadn't read this one yet and 11-year-old Flavia is in her best form. Scientific without being pedantic and narrated in the voice I imagine most 11-year-old girls sound like in their own heads. This fun mystery will have you cheering for the whole village of Bishop Lacey. But, it ends with a cliffhanger, so be warned that you'll want the next one in line soon!

No comments: