- 1852 – Antoni Gaudí, Spanish architect. Quite possibly took his name too much to heart
- 1900 – Louis Mountbatten, 1st Earl Mountbatten of Burma, English admiral and politician. Burma = short straw
- 1903 – George Orwell, English author. Some authors are more equal than others
- 1917 – Nils Karlsson, Swedish skier. Not to be confused with Carl Nielsen
- 1925 – June Lockhart, American actress. What's that Lassie? It's Timmy's mom's birthday?
- 1928 – Peyo, Belgian author and illustrator, created The Smurfs. Not sure I'd want that on my epitaph
- 1945 – Carly Simon, American singer-songwriter, actress, and author. You probably think this list is about you
- 1956 – Anthony Bourdain, American chef and author. For his birthday he's eating newt testicles with an undiscovered tribe in the Amazon.
- 1961 – Ricky Gervais, English comedian, actor, director, and producer. Giving atheists a good name; also: worst selfies EVER.
Not quite exalted company for my little sister, but better than Hitler.