July 6, 2015

Happy post 4th of July

Due to the fact that my entire head decided to fill with mucous on Saturday, I missed the 4th of July festivities. Instead I went to bed at 5 o'clock and tried to sleep in between, nose-blowing, barking neighbors' dogs, and loud firecrackers. (For a state in which setting off fireworks is illegal, there sure were a lot of boom-boom-boom on Saturday in my neighborhood.)
I'm still not quite right in the head (right sinus and ear plugged 90% of the time), but I'm feeling on the mend.
One of the things I did do, was watch the hummingbird feeder outside my big front window. I have seen (and likely you have too) the videos where someone in a never-neverland of hummingbirds has about 80 birds hovering over feeders in her yard. This is an empirical impossibility based on my observations because these birds are ridiculously, fiercely territorial. I have witnessed hummingbird grudge matches that would put professional wrestlers to shame. There is a ton of nectar in my feeder and four feeding ports spaced a good two inches apart from each other, but these little critters will be damned if they have to eat with a partner.  Maybe they slurp?

Also, the next time a guy with a microphone and video camera walks up to you, please be able to tell him that on the 4th of July we celebrate our declaration of independence from England, ratified on July 4, 1776. 


No comments: