November 25, 2008

Anticipating Black Friday

Christmas shopping done? Started? Is it really our duty as Americans to spend more this holiday (or anytime) when we have less? What are the CEO's getting for their families for Christmas or Hanukkah this year? Are the 10% of Americans with over 70% of the wealth shopping the BestBuys and Macy's to be sure the economy recovers? Are they getting the wife and kids each a brand new Ford? Santa's sack is going to be extra-light at our house this year, no matter what the "experts" recommend.

2 comments:

Maegann said...

If there's anything I've learned in my life is that acting like there's no problem and continuing the behavior that got you into trouble in the first place is non way to help you get out of your self-dug hole.

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately... actions speak louder than words. I know dozens of people who have stood up and carried the flag of frugality this season.

Then they get to Walmart and kill each other.

I will believe that Americans will stop shopping when I see it. I don't think that will happen very soon.

I have watched my friends in Great Britain spend until they were completely penniless this season also. It is as if they are all trying to "pack off" and now have an excuse to smoke one last carton of cigarettes in a single day.

I am not sure what you meant by "no matter what the 'experts' recommend" -

Economists that I have read and watched are predicting severe repercussions from this spending season. They are also predicting that the negative result will show itself as early as next quarter.

I have not been privy to anyone that said it was "okay to fill Santa's sack."