October 16, 2009

Friday Book Blogging

Due to a weekend spent painting instead of reading, I only finished five books this week. My top pick was Cynthia Harrod-Eagles' Shallow Grave. This is, I have learned, the seventh book in her detective series featuring Bill Slider. It is my first acquaintance with Detective Inspector Slider with his partner Jim Atherton, his girlfriend Joanna, his new boss Porson.
Every character Harrod-Eagles sketches comes to life, vividly. Atherton's educated wit, Porson's mangling of the English language, Slider's compassion and skill all leap off the page. And, despite the fact that I figured this one out early-on, it was still a satisfying mystery.

1 comment:

Jim Donahue said...

I'm enjoying "The Selected Works of T.S. Spivet" by Reif Larsen. Reminds me of Nicholas Christopher a bit.