May 4, 2010

Oil slick

I don't want you all to think that I haven't noticed the billions of gallons of crude oil oozing into the Gulf of Mexico just because I haven't put my thoughts together in blogging form.
The truth is, this is a catastrophe of such magnatude that I (and probably most of you) can't wrap my head around it. I think I knew it was horrific when I saw the breaking news email announcing that the rig had sunk. Right then I though "Oh, sh*t. It was still connected to the pipe which is now connected directly to the Gulf. This is gonna be bad."
I'm old enough to remember the Exxon Valdez. Preliminary guesstimates are comparing the two disasters in terms unfavorable to the current crisis.
I have no criticism with the way that everyone has reacted so far. I don't have enough information to point a finger, although I'd like to blame the big corporation, so I'll latch onto anything that tars their behavior in a completely biased and gleefully unrepentant way.
Mostly, right now, I want all our best brainpower to figure out a way to stop the leak and clean the mess before it kills a coastline that has already suffered enough.
I'm perfectly willing to pay $4 per gallon at the pump if it means preventing a disaster like this in the future.

No comments: