May 11, 2012

Friday Book Blogging

In honor of National Teachers' Week, and in response to my friend's challenge, this week's book blog is being slightly co-opted. Instead of a book I read this week, I'm choosing to recommend a book that features a very special teacher.
I could choose Stuart Little who was so empathetic to his students' feelings. I could choose Jo March who is a favorite character in general and advocate for women's education. I could choose Ms. Frizzle of Magic School Bus fame who took her classes on grand adventures and taught everyone a love of science.
All of these teachers have qualities that we ought to value in those in whom we entrust our children's future. Even if you are a great learner and accomplished student, a good teacher will make you better. Conversely, at the wrong time, a bad teacher will make everything fall apart. I watched it happen and I'm still angry with myself that I did nothing.
A teacher that pushes you to achieve more than you imagined you could, and applauds you when you achieve it; accepts you for who you are, no matter how awkward; a teacher you can trust; a teacher who honestly cares about what you learn, one who encourages questions (and just a tiny bit of rule-bending); is the teacher in the book I'm recommending this week. I wish we all had teachers as good as Albus Dumbledore in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.
Re-read it with your favorite teacher in mind.

No comments: