July 26, 2013

Friday Book Blogging

I read three books this week. It's a promising start to what feels like a move back towards my old self. Frankly, my reading hasn't been the same since I quit smoking. (I'm not sure how they are related; I only know that when I smoked and read, I had an ashtray full of cigarette butts next to me and a complete unawareness of how they got there.) But this week felt more like old times (without the cigarette butts).
At any rate, the top pick is Erin Hart's Haunted Ground featuring an archaeologist, a pathologist, and a bog body, along with a missing woman and child. Hart deftly draws the mystery of the bog body into the present day without stretching credulity.
Haunted Ground captures the feeling of rural Irish village life at the turn of the 20th century and delivers a nicely plotted mystery.

No comments: