October 18, 2013

Friday Book Blogging

I did (almost) finish three books this week. One of them I wanted to like so badly. Sally Vickers' The Cleaner of Chartres seemed like it was the book to beat, but half-way through I completely lost the will to untangle the complex sentence structure and vague time changes. I was somewhat interested (can you tell I just took an online poll?) in what happened to Agnès Morel in the beginning of the book, but the more I discovered, the less I cared.
Instead, I am choosing The Crypt Thief by Mark Pryor as the top pick. It is not my favorite kind of murder mystery because the reader knows the who from the start. We are left to follow along as the hero chases the clues. These are exciting novels and the why of the mystery makes up for the missing whodunit. In addition, Pryor's lead, Hugo Marston, seems to be purposefully written for the big screen. Handsome leading men are not a bad thing to have racing through your head as you read.

No comments: