September 1, 2010

Truth and consequences

According to a Newsweek poll, 52% of Republicans think that President Barack Obama wants "to impose Islamic law around the world."
When the pollsters call these people do they say at the end of the conversation, "Thank you for your time, please note that our president is a Christian and has never expressed an interest in extending Sharia law throughout the United States, you ignorant twit."?

I read these polls and I'm embarrassed, horrifyingly embarrassed, to be lumped with the misinformed ignoramuses who cannot correctly identify reality. The fear-mongers have created a world in which the facts --cold, hard, real facts-- no longer matter. It's all about the spin on the message. The truth isn't secondary. The truth doesn't even figure into it.
And while I'm ashamed to call these fools "my fellow Americans," I'm scared to death of what they could do to my country.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen!