May 20, 2011

Friday Book Blogging

I did something only old people can do this week. I inadvertently reread a book. Fortunately, it was an excellent book, and since I read it this week, I can recommend it in the Friday Book Blog.
Laurie R. King's Touchstone had been on my "to read" list for a few years, but whenever I was at the library, I didn't have my list of the library didn't have the book. This week they had it and about three chapters in, I started thinking, "This seems familiar," but put it down to the setting (England, between the Wars) being one that I tend to gravitate toward.
By ten chapters in, there was no doubt that I had read it before, near as I can tell about three years ago. Despite the fact that I now knew how it would end, I read it through because the writing is so good and the characters are so believably sketched.
The story follows a tragically-flawed FBI investigator on the trail of a potential terrorist and his unlikely alliance with a physically and psychologically wounded WWI veteran in England. The intrigue twists the two of them up in a grand political scheme for a power-grab at the highest levels of office and plays out on a stage already occupied by a nationwide miners' strike.

No comments: