June 21, 2013

Friday Book Blogging

I got four books in this week, but only if I count the one from last week that I hadn't finished. I promised I'd tell you about it even if I didn't tip it for the top spot, but that won't be an issue because it was far and away the best of the bunch.
The Brothers of Baker Street by Michael Robertson is a caper in the best sense of the word. It is the second in what I assume will be a series featuring an odd-couple pair of brothers in modern day London. I did not read the first one because the library doesn't have it. (What is up with that?)
The twist in this book (and the first one as well) is that the brothers' barrister office occupys suite B at 221 Baker Street, which, for those of you who aren't obsessive Sherlockians or Baker Street Irregulars, is the fictional address of the famous Sherlock Holmes. So they get letters. Lots of letters. Most of which plead the assistance of Mr. Sherlock Holmes.
In addition to this quirk, the story itself is fast-paced. The plot picks up right after the first book ends and it would have been better to read them in order, but I was able to string things together. Nicely told, but at times a bit rushed, the mystery is solved well before the end of the book leaving only the daring chase and rescue. As I said, a caper.

No comments: