February 10, 2015

Ah, the good old days...

Do you remember taking a shoebox to class and pasting it with pink and red construction paper hearts and doilies, then cutting a hole in the top just the size of a valentine card? We labeled our boxes with our names and there were no rules dictating that everyone in the class must receive a valentine from every other classmate.
I distinctly recall agonizing over whether to give one to the gross boy who liked me and, no matter how viciously I rebuked him, would not stop pursuing me. I thought if EVERYONE else got a card from me, and he did not, he would get the message. I did feel badly about it. A little.
I also recall getting a lot of cards, not because I was popular (I was not.) but because we weren't socially advanced enough to be so passively-aggressively hostile to each other. It was Valentines Day. Everyone got a card. (Except Steve. Ugh.)
Anyway, prep time is underway for moms and dads. Get those Valentines together. I believe now they must reference Beyonce, social media and include at least $4.00 worth of candy to be acceptable in 5th grade.

In honor of the Valentines Day release of the (dreadful) 50 Shades of Grey, (or is it Gray? --Who cares?) I found this old Valentine card. What were people thinking back in the day? I hope this dates from the era PRE- decorated shoebox in 5th grade. I'm fairly certain this is inappropriate for 10-year-olds.



No comments: